Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Abraham Lincoln Family

http://www.geocities.com/marianapolis99/lincoln.htm
Including:
Ancestry of Abraham Lincoln
Descendants of Abraham Lincoln
Ideas of the Past
How You Can Help

Nancy Hanks related websites:
Ancestors of Abraham Lincoln
Descendants of Abraham Lincoln
Joseph Hanks, Ancestor of a President

EXTERNAL LINKS:Abraham Lincoln Online,Austin Genealogical Database,Bob Lincoln's Home Page,The First Ladies,Freeman Family Lines,The History Place Presents Abraham Lincoln,Mary Todd Lincoln,IMC's Genealogical On~Ramp Main Menu,Monticello, Home of Thomas Jefferson,The Presidents of the United States,Robert Todd Lincoln's Hildene,Royal and Noble Genealogical Data on the Web,Scott McGee's GenWeb Databases,United States Vital Records Information,


SAMPLES
http://www.geocities.com/marianapolis99/ideas.htm
http://www.geocities.com/marianapolis99/verduin.htm
http://www.geocities.com/marianapolis99/verduinl.htm
The result of these plotting is as follows: a constellation of points is formed which composes a rough circle around what was in 1777 a triangular, 151-acre parcel of land. The tract was one of two almost-touching but distinct parcels purchases on December 23 of that year by Griffin Murdock Fauntleroy-the same well-bred planter who was one of Joseph Hanks' employers in 1781. The road for which Joseph Hanks was surveyor (i.e., maintenance inspector) nearly touched this tract of land at the tract's northwestern corner. What is more, the lands owned or leased by the other four court appointees who lived in the neighborhood effectively box in the 151-acre Fauntleroy tract on two of its three sides. Fauntleroy himself, it has been learned, lived on the other of two tracts he purchased in North Farnham Parish in 1777-the one just a little to the east, which bordered on Farnham Creek and Richard Beale's plantation. The 151-acre piece was a less desirable, rather swampy, and largely wooded property.
Teh writer concludes that it is likely-but not certain-that Joseph Hanks and his family resided in the central or western portion of this 151-acre tract of land owned by Hanks' co-employer Griffin Murdock Fauntleroy. But it is certain, in his judgement, taht they lived within half a mile of a point in the north-central portion of that tract. The location is within three miles of the Rappahannock River and the modern community of Sharps. The tract adjoined or was near the back boundaries of several of the grand Rappahannock riverfront plantations of the era: Woodford, Woodberry, Milden Hall, Riverdale, and Hornby Manor-as they were called at that time, or a little later.


Winders and Windor's

Winders and Windor's

On 2 August 1727 at Richmond Co., Virginia, was recorded in the court records "Joseph Bragg is appointed surveyor of the highways for this ensuing year from Rappahannock Bridge to Colls Carter's Mill and from the upper bridge by John Metcalfe's Mill into Westmoreland County and from the main road by Leonard Dozier's to Duke Beckwith's Mill and from the said road by John ___ plantation to Pantill run and from Michael Windor's ___ field along the Howling road to Lisson's Landing and ordered that he forewith clear all the said roads according to law.

See Omohundro Millpond, which is, I think, nearby.

"1730 Dec 27 Richmond County. Articles of Agreement between Marmaduke
BECKWITH and John MOZINGO. MOZINGO leased BECKWITH’s water grist mill
on Pantico Run with a small house and two acres on each side of the mill
for seven years
."


Warwick CAMMOCK appears in numerous Virginia records over the next ten years, but "mysteriously" disappears after 28 Feb 1679/80 when "Warwick CAMMOCK and Bethridge (her mark) HENSLE make a sworn statement concerning Mr. Fran: DOUGHTY delivering a cow to Adam WOFENDALE for the use of Thom: WINDOR. (Old Rappahannock Co., Va. Deeds & Wills 1677-1682:Part II:262, Old Rappa. VA Records, Ruth & Sam Sparacio, Antient Press, McLean, VA)
http://www.combs-families.org/combs/assoc/cammock.htm

Sunday, November 16, 2003

Finnegans Wake
Bygmester Finnegan, of the Stuttering Hand, freemen's mau-
rer, lived in the broadest way immarginable in his rushlit toofar-
back for messuages before joshuan judges had given us numbers
or Helviticus committed deuteronomy (one yeastyday he sternely
struxk his tete in a tub for to watsch the future of his fates but ere
he swiftly stook it out again, by the might of moses, the very wat-
er was eviparated and all the guenneses had met their exodus so
that ought to show you what a pentschanjeuchy chap he was!)
and during mighty odd years this man of hod, cement and edi-
fices in Toper's Thorp piled buildung supra buildung pon the
banks for the livers by the Soangso. He addle liddle phifie Annie
ugged the little craythur. Wither hayre in honds tuck up your part
inher. Oftwhile balbulous, mithre ahead, with goodly trowel in
grasp and ivoroiled overalls which he habitacularly fondseed, like
Haroun Childeric Eggeberth he would caligulate by multiplicab-
les the alltitude and malltitude until he seesaw by neatlight of the
liquor wheretwin 'twas born, his roundhead staple of other days
to rise in undress maisonry upstanded (joygrantit!), a waalworth
of a skyerscape of most eyeful hoyth entowerly, erigenating from
next to nothing and celescalating the himals and all, hierarchitec-
titiptitoploftical, with a burning bush abob off its baubletop and
with larrons o'toolers clittering up and tombles a'buckets clotter-
ing down.
Of the first was he to bare arms and a name: Wassaily Boos-
laeugh of Riesengeborg. His crest of huroldry, in vert with
ancillars, troublant, argent, a hegoak, poursuivant, horrid, horned.
His scutschum fessed, with archers strung, helio, of the second.
Hootch is for husbandman handling his hoe. Hohohoho, Mister
Finn, you're going to be Mister Finnagain! Comeday morm and,
O, you're vine! Sendday's eve and, ah, you're vinegar! Hahahaha,
Mister Funn, you're going to be fined again!

Walburn Hall

Walburn Hall

Vavasour & Hazelwood Castle

Vavasour
Beckwith, Gascoigne, Percy, Plumpton, Mowbray, Fitzhugh, Skipwith, Middleton, Everingham, Fairfax, Peck, Mauleverer, Scrope, Bainbridge, Pulleyn, Spaldington, Windsor, Gates, Dudley, Dodge, Hazelwood, Hilton, etc...

Hazelwood Castle

Castle Leavington

Castle Leavington

Robin Hood

Roger Beckwith and Family
See also: Masham Church, Acton (Aketon), Clint, Aldborough, Scruton Co. YKS, Cold Ingleby, Jenings (Jennings), Bolton, Swale (Swaile)

Beckwith of Acton

Beckwith, Fairfax, Inman

The tithes, which had belonged to the living in Saxon times, were taken possession of by Ralph de Paganell, one of William the Conqueror's barons, who handed them over to the Abbey of Marmontre, in Touraine, and this church was thenceforth served by the canons of the priory of Holy Trinity, York, which was a cell to that abbey. At the Dissolution these tithes were granted to Sir Leonard Beckwith, and were ultimately bought, in 1556, by Sir William Fairfax, Knight, of Steeton. In this family they remained as private property till they came into the hands of the great Lord Fairfax, who gave them to his domestic chaplain, Thomas Strellon - a non-conforming minister - on condition of his finding "a preaching minister to officiate at Bilbrough." Lord Fairfax, by his will, left these tithes in trust for ever with his family for a preaching minister.

Thomas Beckwith family

Thomas Beckwith family
Birth: 24 Jan 1840 in Missouri
Death: About 1916 in Missouri
Sex: M
Father: Quiros Elmo Beckwith b. 15 Sep 1801 in Fairfax Court House, Fairfax County, VA
Mother: Susan Johnston b. 31 Oct 1813 in Nashville TN

Vanished Architecture of the Old Dominion

Vanished Architecture of the Old Dominion

Dover
Dover was built for James Morson, a lawyer from Fredericksburg who was married to Ellen Bruce. She was raised at Berry Hill; her father, James Coles Bruce was one of the wealthiest men in the nation. Dover's interior was a sumptuous display of classical detailing.

Mannsfield
The measurements of the main house at Mannsfield, 69 by 51 feet, were almost exactly those of Mount Airy. Mann Page III, the builder of Mannsfield, was married to Mary Tayloe of Mount Airy.


Greenway Court
At Greenway Court, in what was then the backwoods, Thomas, sixth Baron Fairfax of Cameron, positioned himself to administer effectively the rent and sale of his five-million-acre inheritance, the Northern Neck proprietary. He changed to frontier garb and became a recluse.

Monday, November 10, 2003

Beckwith Collection brings Indian Culture to Life

Beckwith Collection brings Indian Culture to Life


FROM THE ARTICLE:
When Jim Phillips leads tours of schoolchildren through display cases filled with bowls and other artifacts from the University Museum's Beckwith Collection, he points out that the things in their own cupboards at home could end up in a museum in a thousand years.

"We want to get them thinking that this is not a dead people," the curator of the Beckwith Collection said. "These are things they used every day."


The Collection is a product of the work and collections of Thomas Beckwith, and is located in Missouri. This is from the university:

The Museum's archaeological display features representative artifacts from the Thomas Beckwith Collection, which contains nine hundred whole ceramic vessels and effigy fragments plus approximately two thousand lithics. Most of the objects in the collection were excavated by Thomas Beckwith at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries from mounds on his property in southeast Missouri. In 1913, Beckwith donated his collection to the Third District Normal School, the predecessor to Southeast Missouri State University. Since 1976, the Collection has been housed in the Southeast Missouri Regional Museum. Today the Collection provides unique insights into the culture and lives of prehistoric Native peoples of this region.

Jim Beckwourth: The play

Jim Beckwourth: The play