Saturday, January 18, 2003

PEACE RALLY/RACE FOR PEACE
CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA

While millions of people around the world held peace rallies today, only a few hundred came out in Charlotte, and, to be quite frank, the race was a rather divisive event, leaving but dozens to actually brave the speeches, which were fine, although no Ciceros were present among those holding the megaphone. But you know how peaceniks can be. Blessed of God, and thus not all that moved by mere human distinctions.

People came out. It was a beautiful day. The vision moves forward.

Now back to the race!

I don't know what it was. Something sardonic, no doubt, although frosted with the sugar of surreality. Anyway, as I noticed that there were people running in the middle of the street, hurling themselves, nearly exhausted, over the finish-line...and seeing people scream "go" and "way to go" and "great job"...I had the absurd idea to scream "Speed up!! What's the matter with you???".

I, at least, got a good laugh out of it. And although my fellow paraders thought, or knew, that I was nuts...I would bet the runner sensed the irony in my voice, and laughed himself over the line. Way down, I might had.

No comments: